Maintaining my weight has always been important to me. I have never had a major weight problem. I have however been pregnant 5 times and had to work to lose the last 10-20 POUNDS with many of my pregnancies. For the majority of people (me included) this is not easy!! I am a very DETERMINED and MOTIVATED individual. Now that I am DONE having children I have a long-term goal to keep my weight within 5-7 lbs. of my desired weight. I don’t have a problem throwing numbers out there. I am 5’7″ and I really like to weigh 130 or a little under. My body would rather stay around 132-133. Therefore, I am eternally trying to lose 5 lbs. I don’t mind this challenge in life. It is FUN? for me to try new diets and eating plans and of course EXERCISE to my hearts content. As much as I love exercise, I know that the biggest influence for a healthy weight is….WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH!! I have read with slight variations the ratio that exercise, nutrition, and genetics have on health. Here is a great blog I found at carolinescott.org. People have asked me what CLEAN eating is. Once again I refer you to Tosca Reno. Excellent website. Here are some basic CLEAN eating tips!
What To Do
- Eat more-5 to 6 small meals a day.
- Eat breakfast everyday, within an hour of waking up.
- Eat a combo of lean protein and complex carbohydrates at each meal.
- Eat enough (2 to 3 servings) of healthy fats everyday.
- Stay hydrated (about 8 glasses of water a day).
- Keep clean, healthy foods close by and on hand at all times!
- Depend on fruits and veggies for vitamins and minerals.
- Try doing most of your shopping on the outside aisles of the grocery store…this is where the clean whole foods are mostly located.
What To Avoid
- Avoid highly processed foods.
- Avoid white flour and sugar.
- Avoid foods containing unnecessary preservatives, additives and chemicals.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners and sugars.
- Avoid artificial foods in general!
- Avoid saturated and trans fats.
- Avoid sugar loaded beverages like soda and high sugar juices.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Step away from the “super-size” menu!
I have seen this chart at 70% nutrition, 20% training, and 10% genetics as well. It’s hard to believe that nutrition plays that big a role. I believe it 100%. I have trained and worked out like crazy and the only time I see real results is when I’m eating CLEAN! By results I mean: pounds lost, clothes looser, mood up, body tight with more muscle definition, more energy and endurance during exercise and throughout the day. I am far happier when I’m making smart and healthy eating choices.
I don’t have too many pics. of me when I was pregnant. Here is one about 3 months after having a baby and one of me at the Bahamas 2 years after baby #4. Next post will be how to stay motivated and determined to keep losing weight!! Hang in there!