Happy Monday!!! Besides discussing the menu of the week and music, I’m going to add a MAP!! Today, my aunt is coming over to be personal trained by me! So, I had to have a MAP or plan! I searched some ideas on the internet to get organized. I found some great things. First off, I want to list the websites that helped me out. They were GREAT!!!!
So far in my introduction to health and wellness binder, I have a medical history and general history form I downloaded from NASM. Then, I have a page on benefits of weight lifting, the seven most effective exercises, a couple beginner workouts, and 6 steps to eating clean. I want to add a few more pages, specifically one on goal setting. I have to be organized to get this rolling! Here are some of the handouts I’d like to use:
The Seven Most Effective Exercises
According to Web MD, these are the seven most effective exercises.
- Walking. It is convenient, easy and so beneficial and it can be considered cardiovascular. One hour of brisk walking can burn up to 500 calories.
- Interval training. Adding interval training to your cardiovascular workout will boost your fitness level and help you lose weight, since varying your pace throughout the exercise session stimulates the aerobic system to adapt. Push your intensity or pace for a minute or two, then back off for anywhere from two to ten minutes.
- Squats. Strength training is essential and this exercise works the quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Talk about multi-tasking, those are three large muscle groups working at once.
- Lunges. Like squats this move works all the major muscles of the lower body. Plus, they mimic everyday life – after all they are just over exaggerated walking.
- Push-ups. When done correctly they not only strengthen the arms and chest but engage the core as well. You can do push-ups at any level of fitness. Start out at the wall or a kitchen counter, progress to your hands and knees and then to the full plank push-up. This progression might take a while but persistence pays off.
- Abdominal Crunches. You can’t burn the fat off your belly, but you can definitely tone this area. A stronger center makes everything in life easier. It is important to work all of the abs.
- Bent over Row. Great exercise that gets all of the muscles of the upper back (which can get seriously weak in sedentary computer users) as well as the biceps.
6 steps to Eating Clean
- Eat at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables every day.
- Choose lean proteins, including plenty of plant-based sources of protein. Examples are: eggs, beans, legumes, tofu, poultry, fish, lean beef.
- Eat whole grains which includes whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, wheat germ, flaxseed, brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, bulgur, quinoa, bran flakes cereal, and popcorn.
- Avoid processed food (anything that has an ingredient list a mile long, is in a box or wrapper, and has a forever shelf life).
- Drink lots of water. Avoid soda and sugary juices. Water is your best choice!
- Avoid white flour and white sugar. Choose healthy snacks such as, whole fruit, nuts, raw vegetables, unbuttered popcorn, whole-grain crackers, low-fat milk, or yogurt.
After all this talk of exercise and eating healthy, I decided I need to practice what I preach!! For the most part, I’m pretty self-motivated to stay on track. I do fall off the wagon and let bad habits take control of me sometimes! Mondays are my days to reevaluate my goals. This week, I’m going to make dinner at least 3 times!! We’re going out of town near the end of the week, so that’s all I need. Here is my menu for the week:
Beef Stroganoff and Caesar Salad
Brown Rice with Stir Fry Vegetables and Fruit
Turkey Burgers and Grilled Vegetables (make sure you add mozzarella cheese and artichoke hearts!)
Here is a GREAT turkey burger recipe that I love from Our Best Bites!
Mar-a-Lago Turkey Burgers
Recipe from Jeff O’Neill, Mar-a-Lago Club
*Note this recipe makes 8 half-pound burgers. A half-pound burger is very large! You can easily half the recipe and get 6 good sized burgers. I cut the recipe down to work with one 20 oz package of turkey and it yielded 6 large sliders.
2 tablespoons canola oil (I used butter)
1/2 C finely chopped celery
3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and diced (I grated my apples)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
4 lbs ground turkey breast (I used 85/15 ground turkey)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons tabasco sauce
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Major Grey’s Chutney, pureed (I think pureeing is unnecessary)
Saute the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool. Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sauteed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve on your favorite toasted bread, pita, or hamburger bun.
*The recipe calls for a side of this chutney to spread on top of the burgers. I skipped that step and just used straight Major Grey’s from the jar. I make an easy spread using a 50/50 mix of Major Grey’s Chutney and Mayo. Play around with it and you might like just plain chutney instead of mayo, or mostly mayo with a touch of chutney. I like it 50/50. I also topped it with a crisp lettuce leaf and a slice of juicy tomato.
Try it with a side of Sweet Potato Fries, or some Grilled Corn on the Cob for a great (and healthy!) summer meal.
Sorry this post is an earful! It takes planning and stick-to-it-ness to keep going. My next post needs to be on addiction. As humans, we have addictive tendencies. We get stuck in our same routines and it’s hard to change. Addiction is seen as negative, so we need to change unhealthy addictions to better lifestyle changes!! One way I’ve heard to do this is to stick with a plan for 21 DAYS! After that it’s supposed to be a habit! Try not eating past 9:00 or 9:15ish for 21 days. Everyone is different in how we stay motivated. Sometimes we just have to Smile and Run!!! How about in this beautiful field in England!